SPAXTHEROYAL INTERVIEW

SpaxtheRoyal was born in Kigali - Rwanda, he grew up in Nairobi - Kenya and is a respected Hip Hop artist. Member of the Jayels Family, he has won numerous awards and continues to make it big in Canada and around the world. Read his story,Only on Elite Magazine.
We continue expanding our horizons here on Elite Magazine and we welcome today Spaxtheroyal, who is a Rwanda-born Canada-based Hip Hop artist.



Alain Nzeyimana: Thanks for talking to us Sir, first of all please introduce yourself and explain to our readers the meaning of your stage name.
Spaxtheroyal: My real name is Albert Royal and my stage name has a deep meaning to it. My first producer Sazo named me Spax for Sparks and my parents named me Royal, and  since I love diamonds I though it would be fun to combine the three to come up with Spaxtheroyal.
I was born in Kigali and we moved to Nairobi when I was six and fell in love with music. I soon started writing and at the age of 11, I performed at a school talent show and I was a hit. I went on to get my first recording deal while in High School where I released my first ever single.

Alain Nzeyimana: Please tell me more about your music and your achievements in the industry.
Spaxtheroyal: In Kenya, I have worked with many successful producers and have recorded at Calif Records, Blue Zebra, Next Level Production, Jomino Records and many others. In 2000, I joined a group called  Almicdan and recorded an album with them which did not do well and the group disbanded. In 2002, I joined the Fugitivesand became a respected underground rapper and won plaudits from my peers and collected a few awards along the way.
I am also a member of Jayels Family and last year, we won the MSANII Awardsand the best African Artist in North America.
IN MY HEART MUSIC VIDEO


Alain Nzeyimana: Please tell me about collaborations you have done.
Spaxtheroyal: The funny thing is, although my carrier is well over a decade old, I am yet to release a solo album or a mixtape, though I have been featured on so many around the world. I have been dropping singles but I promise my supporters and fans that a package is around the corner. I have done lots of shows around North America and I do all my best to win more fans and most importantly, I always make sure my music is easily accessible.
I have been able to collaborate with so many talented artists form Africa, Asia, North and South America and this is mostly made possible by the diversity of the society I live in, Canada.
Alain Nzeyimana: Who is the artist you admire the most?
Spaxtheroyal: I know you gonna be shocked but I really admire Yvonne Chaka Chaka.
Alain Nzeyimana: I am not shocked, she is a truly talented and wonderful singer.
Spaxtheroyal: Whenever I give this answer in interviews, I get funny faces from interviewers, my fans don't get it but I truly do admire her. My iPod wishlist include: Myriam Makeba, Lucky Dube, Alpha Blondy and I cannot miss my home boys from Ukoo Flani and other great icons that have been able to make it internationally, yet singing in African languages and keeping up the wonderful African culture and tradition.  It’s wonderful to listen to western music but remember, charity begins at home and I am a proud African.
Alain Nzeyimana: A lot of East African musicians complain of not making a living out of music. Is it the case with you and if so, how will you address the issue? What advice would you give to other artists in the region?
Spaxtheroyal: It’s true that we can’t fully make a living through music. But check this out no one can ever have enough in this world, to me I always take this complaint as a sign of encouragement. We know we can do better and we will get there. Another road block is competition. We are increasingly competing with western musicians who spend good money to produce superior quality music and this is not easy. Maybe our governments ought to enforce some laws that force radio and television stations to play a certain percentage of local and international songs so we have a bigger platform. Promotion is another tool that we do not know to exploit, therefore limiting our chances to reach wider audiences.
Alain Nzeyimana: According to you, who is the king of East African music?
Spaxtheroyal: It depends on the type of music one prefers, but I personally thinkChameleon is a great artist and he is doing an amazing job.
Alain Nzeyimana: Thanks for your time.


SpaxtheRoyal
SpaxtheRoyal


Share on Google Plus

About SpaxtheRoyal

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

3 comments :

SpaxtheRoyal said...

I like it!

Mitch said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

This is amazing job. Keep it up. Much love and prayers